About Vending Machines

A vending machine that requires a public health permit is a self-service device that, upon insertion of money or tokens, dispenses prepackaged perishable (potentially hazardous) food or open food or drink without the need to replenish the device between each vending operation. They operate in conjunction with a warehouse or commissary. Those machines which do not require a permit include devices dispensing non-potentially hazardous foods prepackaged food, i.e., peanuts, popcorn, gum, candy, cookies, crackers, or similar snacks and canned or bottled beverages.

Los Angeles County Code Title 11 - Food Vending Machines

Area We Serve

Public Health is responsible for enforcing the California Retail Food Code in all of Los Angeles County except for those located in the cities of Long Beach, Pasadena and Vernon. Those cities have their own health departments that enforce the Code within their jurisdiction.

You May Be Interested In...

Report a Problem

If you encounter a problem at a specialized retail food services-related facility, or to report any public health issues, call the Environmental Health Division of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Customer Call Center at (888) 700-9995. Telephone agents are available on Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, or File a Complaint Online.

Public Health will not ask you about your immigration status and you can file a report without giving your name.

For help with other employment issues, such as fair wages, breaks, and more, contact the California Labor Commissioner at 320 W. 4th Street, Suite 450, Los Angeles 90013 or call (213) 620-6330. You will not be asked about your immigration status and interpreters are available to help you.

Contact Us

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Tel: (626) 430-5421
Fax: (626) 813-3017

County of Los Angeles Public Health
Environmental Health
Specialized Food Services Program
5050 Commerce Drive
Baldwin Park, CA 91706-1423