Massage Establishment in Los Angeles County

About Massage Establishments

A "massage establishment" is a business that offers massage, massage services, or massage therapy. Any business that offers any combination of massage therapy and bath facilities shall be deemed a Massage Establishment.

On February 4, 2020, the Board of Supervisors approved new requirements for massage establishments to ensure public health protection. When health and safety codes are followed it prevents the spread of disease and helps keep the community and employees safe.

Read below to find out more information about obtaining permits, jurisdiction, and how to report problems if you observe health code violations at massage establishments.

The County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health's Environmental Health Division (EHD) inspects massage establishments for compliance with health and safety codes to minimize the spread of disease. Massage establishments are inspected once a year for compliance with Los Angeles County Code Title 7, Title 8, Title 11 and Title 22. Each massage establishment is required to obtain a valid health permit from the Department of Public Health before massage services can be performed.

For more information and questions, please call (626) 813-3348 or email

The County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health's Environmental Health Division is responsible for ensuring that all massage establishments within unincorporated areas and cities that have adopted the County's ordinance comply with Los Angeles County Code (LACC) and any applicable codes.

Currently, the following cities have adopted the County's massage ordinance: Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Diamond Bar, La Cañada/Flintridge, Lancaster, Malibu, and Westlake Village.

Report a Problem

If you visit or receive service from a massage establishment without a proper public health permit or observe health code violations in an unincorporated area/city in Los Angeles County, you may report this issue by calling (888) 700-9995. In addition, you may also file your complaint online.

Contact Us